Corporate Counsel (1400682)
GENERATE A Future of Possibilities
As one of North America's leading electricity producers, Ontario Power Generation offers challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value - and where you can realize your personal and professional goals.
JOB TITLE: Corporate Counsel
LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario (Downtown)
STATUS: Regular Full-time
EDUCATION LEVEL: Bachelor of Law Degree (LLB)
TRAVEL: As required
DEADLINE TO APPLY: September 14, 2014
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for a business-minded and results oriented legal professional to join our team in the role of Corporate Counsel.
Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, the role of Corporate Counsel provides strategic legal support to OPG in the practice area of corporate commercial law with an emphasis on corporate finance. Responsibilities will include providing advice to senior executives and reviewing, negotiating and drafting various types of corporate finance agreements.
- Review, draft and negotiate corporate commercial contracts, particularly financial agreements such as credit facility agreements, grid promissory notes and letters of credit AND other types of contracts such as equity contribution agreements, trust indentures and partnership agreements.
- Stay current on OPG’s business and on the law, including statutory changes, significant case law, and prevailing legal strategy.
- Work independently to research issues, including legal precedents. Must be able to identify legal issues, practical barriers, and options that will work best for the OPG business.
- Develop strategy and provide strategic advice to other lawyers within Law Division and business partners within OPG.
- Educate business partners about legal matters and developments relevant to their business area.
- Participate proactively in core teams on projects and proceedings, including developing and executing contracting strategies and major initiatives.
- Liaise and develop effective relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization. Interact with and represent OPG with external stakeholders who may include OPG’s shareholder, government bodies and ministries, financial institutions external counsel engaged by OPG, and opposing legal counsel.
- Bachelor of Law degree (LLB)
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada (must retain status)
We are seeking a lawyer with corporate finance experience ideally gained at a large Bay Street firm or major financial services provider environment, as well as the following:
- 3 - 4 years of experience in finance, securities, and corporate law;
- The ability to build relationships with business partners and be a team player;
- A results-oriented focus is essential, as is the ability to work in a fast-paced changing environment and effectively manage several projects simultaneously;
- Strong verbal communication skills; ability to influence and communicate effectively across the company and externally at all levels;
- Strong analytical, research and problem solving skills, with a keen eye for detail;
- Demonstrate highest level of personal integrity, sound professional judgement and business acumen;
- Proven ability to work in a complex, regulated corporate environment;
- Superior writing skills including the ability to compile information from research, case files or verbal direction, in order to draft documentation;
- Ability to provide sound and practical legal advice;
- Proactive and confident and;
- Proficient with the use of information technology tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Westlaw and Quicklaw.
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values, and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
As one of the largest electricity generators in North America, Ontario Power Generation (OPG) offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value and where you can realize your long-term personal and professional goals. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario's success. We provide the necessary training – from safety practices to specific job requirements – to enhance your skills and expertise and lay the foundation for a successful career at OPG.
At OPG our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province
If you are looking to learn from others and be part of something important, and you are excited about the future of power generation, you will find the right fit at OPG.
We offer an environment that will support you in reaching your potential. OPG supports the principles and practices of diversity.
Please submit your application online at www.mypowercareer.com by 11:59 PM E.S.T., Sunday, September 14, 2014. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No Agencies please