Realty Law Clerk
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week. Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Provides conveyancing assistance to Legal Services and Realty Services, in particular to the Associate Lawyer, Real Estate and Development and the Realty Specialist
- Attends at the Registry Office or by E-Reg for title searches, registrations and real estate closings
- Liaises with City staff, legal offices, developers, and members of the public with respect to City requirements for conveyances, service easements, legal descriptions, road widenings, encroachment agreements, and other realty matters.
- Prepares conveyancing documents such as Deeds, Easements, Mortgages, and Releases, based on the requirements of the land registration system
- Prepares for Council approval – By-laws, Leases, License Agreements, Encroachment Agreements, Irrigation License Agreements, Covenants, Releases, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Degree or Diploma in a paralegal or other law related field focusing on real estate and land development or another related discipline and experience as a legal assistant/law clerk/paralegal focusing primarily on real estate with exposure to land development matters. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints in an effective manner.
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, including City staff, residents, developers, Registry Office staff and surveyors.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with the ability to communicate with public and all levels of staff.
- Ability to work in an accurate and efficient manner; detail oriented with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to work on your own and in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent title searching skills, including the ability to resolve complex title issues.
- Ability to draft development agreements, easements, encroachment agreements and other realty related agreements.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
- Proficiency with various legal software programs including Softdocs, Teranet and ROSCO.
- Licensed paralegal designation would be an asset.
- Previous experience working in a municipality or with a land developer would be an asset.
How to Apply:
Applications must be received online by August 17, 2014. To apply for this position, please visit http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ for further detailed instructions. Please follow the instructions and follow all steps to the process. In order to be considered for this position you must complete all of the steps when creating your profile. This will include a short online screening questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. You will also need to attach both your cover letter and resume saved as one document (PDF format preferred). If you have already created a profile, you may simply login to begin your application.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.