Bilingual Legal Assistant/Secretary
PART 1 – POSITION SUMMARY
The Legal Assistant/Secretary is responsible for performing assigned administrative, legal secretarial and clerical support duties for the in-house legal counsel in the Protective Services Division.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
- Provide assistance for the in-house legal counsel that includes: opening and maintaining files, maintaining calendars and bringing forward important dates, preparing routine correspondence, arranging meetings and scheduling hearings.
- Assist in preparing, compiling, serving and filing important government applications and responses for proceedings before various administrative tribunals, including Arbitrators, the Ontario Labour Relations Board, Professional Colleges and the Ontario Human Rights Commission, in accordance with the applicable Rules of Procedures.
- Co-ordinate and monitor administrative functions ensuring that work is completed accurately and within established time frames as determined by government and legislative filing procedures.
- Obtain information and instruction from members and forwarding them to in-house legal counsel.
- Conduct research, compile data and statistics and other information as required.
- Provide legal secretarial administration support for conferences and if required attend the conferences to handle registration and other related duties.
- Attend meetings as required to record, key in and compose draft minutes for approval.
- Schedule, monitor and confirm appointments and meetings and prepare travel arrangements and itineraries.
- Ensure the smooth flow of information internally, with other departments and externally with outside organizations.
- Respond to telephone calls, direct messages and provide information and/or assistance or refer to appropriate department or person.
- Process incoming and outgoing mail, documents and faxes, manually or electronically.
- Ensure compliance with provincial and OSSTF/FEESO occupational health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ensure confidentiality is maintained in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or other related and applicable legislation.
- Participate on committees as required.
- Attend meetings during and after business hours as required.
- Perform other duties which may be assigned from time to time by the Protective Services Division, Human Resources or by the Associate General Secretary.
PART II – POSITION REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum three (3) years of recent verifiable secretarial experience in a combination of Business and Labour Law and a two year legal assistant diploma from a recognized community college or equivalent.
- MS Office 2010, Windows 7, Excel, WP, presentation and database application skills. Demonstrated typing speed at 45 words per minute. Shorthand and/or speedwriting would be an asset.
- A comprehensive understanding of legal terminology and knowledge of rules and regulations.
- Ability to communicate in a sensitive and courteous manner with members, office staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and public relation skills are required, both written and oral.
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy.
- Bilingual French and English is a requirement.
- Understanding of and commitment to confidentiality.
SALARY, BENEFITS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- In accordance with the collective agreement, the weekly starting salary for a Legal Assistant/Secretary is $938. Subsequent increments as per the COPE 343 collective agreement.
- The working conditions and benefits -as per the COPE 343 collective agreement
- May be required to work outside of business hours on occasion, as needed.
Please submit your résumé and covering letter to:
Avery Adams, Human Resources Assistant/Secretary
Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation
60 Mobile Drive, Toronto, Ontario, M4A 2P3
Marked “Personal and Confidential”
Please quote “Bilingual Legal Assistant/Secretary” in the subject line.
OSSTF is an “Equal Opportunity Employer”