This job is no longer available
Reporting to the Resident Attorney, handles assigned P&C insurance legal matters, represents TD Insurance or its policyholders in civil litigation and No Fault/accident benefits matters involving claims for money damages or compensation for personal injury or property damage of lesser value with relatively uncomplicated legal issues.
· Uses Litigation Protocols to develop and revise appropriate legal strategy for discovery, investigation, handling and trial/hearing of cases or matters; advises, communicates and develops those strategies with TD Insurance Claims Representatives and insured Clients, as appropriate.
· Conducts necessary and appropriate discovery, hearings, trials, oral arguments, mediations, arbitrations and similar proceedings. Researches the law applicable to cases or matters. Drafts legal documents, pleadings, motions, legal factums and opinions as required. If requested, conducts settlement negotiations.
· Advises, communicates and confers with Claims Representatives and Insured Clients, rendering clear, unambiguous legal opinions and advice. Personally meets with, and maintains good relations and communications with Claims Representatives and Insured Clients as required.
· Remains current with developments in the law; understands medical, scientific, construction, products, engineering or similar issues and defences involved with cases or matters.
· Completion of law school with LLB and admission to the bar in the applicable jurisdiction.
· Minimum of articling experience as a student-at-law with a law firm, in-house legal department, or Court.
· 0 - 5 years experience as a lawyer. Background in insurance defence litigation, including personal injury and No-Fault claims and / or general litigation experience preferred.
· Knowledge of legal and court documents and procedures.
· Knowledge of standard office equipment and word processing.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to communicate effectively with policyholders, courts, and Judges.
· Ability to edit and proof legal documents.
· Motivated self-starter with capability to work productively under pressure.
· Strong interpersonal & client service skills, professional and positive demeanour.
· Superior organization & priority setting skills, strong work ethic and ability to multi-task.
· Conceptual and creative problem solving skills.