This job is no longer available
Agricorp is looking for a progressive and creative individual to join our Legal Services division in the role of Legal Counsel. This exciting opportunity will report to the Director, Legal Services.
Agricorp delivers programs on behalf of the federal and provincial governments that help Ontario’s agricultural producers manage risk and remain financially secure. We offer a professional and flexible work environment, with a generous vacation allowance, good benefits including a defined-benefit pension plan, and a commitment to supporting our employees’ individual training and development.
As Legal Counsel, you will provide a full range of legal services to support the achievement of Agricorp’s objectives in program delivery, program development, risk management and corporate governance. You will provide advice and counsel on a broad range of matters relating to Agricorp’s business and operations, contracts and program agreements, regulatory and contractual compliance, risk management and litigation. In this role, you will:
· Provide legal advice to Agricorp on matters relating to Agricorp’s business and operations and its compliance with regulatory, contractual and other obligations
· Advise on questions relating to the delivery of Agricorp programs, including Production Insurance, AgriStability and the Risk Management Program
· Advise on licensing and compliance matters relating to the Grains Act
· Liaise with the Legal Services Branch of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
· Conduct administrative tribunal litigation and manage litigation matters
· Draft, negotiate and review contracts
· Contribute to Agricorp’s risk management programs
· Provide advice on the resolution of customer disputes or complaints
- An LL.B., J.D. or equivalent, combined with being a lawyer in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada
- A minimum of 5 years’ post-call legal experience, in areas of law such as agriculture, administrative law, corporate/commercial, contract, employment, insurance, litigation, real estate, or debtor/creditor
- Proven experience providing professional legal opinions and advice to senior management
- Experience conducting litigation, particularly before administrative tribunals, and litigation management
- Experience in legal unit administration and financial management
- Extensive knowledge of Ontario legislation
- Experience developing and writing corporate policies and procedures
- Experience working as an in-house counsel would be an asset
- Experience working in the public sector would be an asset
- Key Competencies
· Analytical thinking – Interprets, links and analyses information and situations by breaking them down into component parts, and identifying patterns, connections and underlying issues
· Critical judgment, decision making and problem solving – Uses critical judgment to make decisions and solve problems involving varied levels of complexity, ambiguity and risk
· Strategic thinking and visioning – Links long-range vision to daily work ensuring alignment with Agricorp’s strategic direction, and develops and inspires commitment to a vision of success
· Influence – Influences, convinces and gains support from others
· Planning and organizing – Develops, implements, evaluates and adjusts plans to reach goals, while ensuring the optimal use of resources
· Legislation, policies, procedures and standards – Understands and uses relevant legislation, policies, procedures and/or standards in performing one’s workBackground
As an agency of the Government of Ontario, Agricorp works with partners to contribute to a vibrant and sustainable agriculture industry. With more than 400 employees serving more than 47,000 producers province-wide, Agricorp delivers programs that help producers manage risk and remain financially secure. The agency was established in 1997 by the provincial government under the authority of the AgriCorp Act, 1996.
Agricorp delivers a variety of programs and payments on behalf of the federal and provincial governments, including AgriStability, Farm Business Registration and Production Insurance. Please see the full list of programs for more information.
To apply for this position, please send your resume (with the job title in subject heading) and cover letter to: Human Resources Division, Agricorp, 1 Stone Road West Box 3660, Stn. Central, Guelph ON N1H 8M4. Fax: 519-826-4680. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org